Under the direction of the Library Director, the custodian performs varied simple and moderately strenuous tasks involved in cleaning and maintaining the library building and grounds; may assist in making minor repairs to the building, equipment and furniture; does other related duties as required.
Examples of Work:
- Dusts, cleans and polishes furniture, fixtures, woodwork and equipment, as assigned.
- Washes and cleans entrance doors and water fountain.
- Maintains bathrooms in clean and hygienic condition. Checks bathroom soap, paper towel, and toilet paper dispensers daily and refills as needed. Notifies Director when supplies are low.
- May be asked to move boxes, heavy furniture, supplies, and equipment.
- Collects and prepares recycling. Takes recyclables out to the curb on the appropriate day.
- Collects trash on a daily basis and deposits it in the receptacles outside; also puts trash on the curb on the appropriate day.
- Uses ladder to change light bulbs, adjust shelves, etc.
- May make minor repairs, as required.
- Vacuums, mops, dusts, and cleans as per a daily schedule (provided upon hiring).
- Maintains the library grounds by collecting trash, raking leaves, removing snow from sidewalks, and spreading salt on icy surfaces, as assigned.
- May be available for minor emergencies.
- May be asked to courier items/paperwork and other materials to locations within the two towns.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of procedures, materials, and tools used to complete all above tasks.
- Ability to handle cleaning problems, lift and move moderately heavy objects, organize work, and develop work methods.
- Ability to maintain maintenance/utility room in clean, hygienic, and orderly condition.
- Ability to understand, remember, and carry out oral and written directions.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with other employees.
- Ability to keep simple records.
Valid driver's license required.
Schedule: Times negotiable (either before the library opens or after closing), 10 hours per week.
Position will begin in late August, 2019.
Interested parties should complete an Employment Application (found at the library's Circulation Desk or online HERE). Please return completed application and resume to Kimberly Paone, Library Director, at email@example.com, or to a library staff member at the Circulation Desk.